Meet our Team
Our Product Development group are a global team of specialist software professionals. They are responsible for the ongoing evolution of our portfolio of enterprise storage products building the new features and functionality that keeps our storage market leading.
They collaborate as part of a truly global Hitachi team with members in the UK, US and India. Our Bracknell based team are a small, close knit team of approximately 30 that work in AGILE/SCRUM teams on our HNAS (Hitachi Network Attached Storage) platform that is a key component in our product portfolio.
We are looking for a software engineer with excellent design, development, and debugging experience within a Linux storage environment. They will join a team currently implementing new/modern storage software. This role requires the ability to work in various areas of low-level storage controller designs with concepts including protocols, APIs, and storage related applications. The position is broad and encourages an expansion of personal expertise into the latest software defined storage technologies.
As a development engineer, in your normal day you will be:
• Understanding and implementing product requirements via new and existing technology stacks.
• Implementing automated unit test cases surrounding your code.
• Participating in bi-directional code reviews, design discussions, and task breakdowns.
• Collaborating with teammates in an Agile software development lifecycle
• Expanding your knowledge of new storage technologies and the software behind them.
Skills and experience:
• Current, hands on experience of C/C++ software development ideally in storage appliances and/or enterprise storage systems.
• Strong experience developing software within the Linux environment, e.g.: general administration, kernel interaction, networking, scripting languages, development tools etc.
• Excellent analytical and debugging skills.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Active participation in a modern/distributed team environment.
• Direct experience developing code for SAN/NAS servers.
• Deep working knowledge of file system architecture and principles.
• Understanding and experience with software development of protocols such as SMB, NFS, Samba.
• Development level exposure to enterprise level storage technologies, distributed file systems, snapshots, replication, clustering, high availability, de-duplication, and related concepts.
• Conversance with agile software development methodologies and task break down methodologies, such as: scrum-ban, stand-ups, story mapping, planning poker, etc.Our Values
We strive to create an inclusive environment for all and are open to considering home working, compressed/flexible hours and flexible arrangements. Get in touch with us to explore how we might be able to accommodate your specific needs.
We are proud to say we are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. With Japanese roots going back over 100 years, our culture is founded on the values of our parent company expressed as the Hitachi Spirit:
Wa - Harmony, Trust, Respect
Makoto - Sincerity, Fairness, Honesty, Integrity
Kaitakusha-Seishin - Pioneering Spirit, Challenge