Our Hitachi Vantara Engineering development team are responsible for designing, developing and testing the Hitachi NAS Platform product (https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/products/storage/network-attached-storage-platform.html
). It is our remit to understand the entire process of creating valuable software, with involvement in the complete development-test cycle.
The office is located in Bracknell but we are open for hybrid or remote model of working. What you'll be doing
Our software engineers exhibit excellent design, development, and debugging experience within a Linux storage environment. You will join a team currently implementing new/modern storage software. This role requires the ability to work in various areas of low-level storage controller designs with concepts including protocols, APIs, and storage related applications. The position is broad and encourages an expansion of personal expertise into the latest software defined storage technologies.
As a development engineer, in your normal day you will be:
What you bring to the team
- Understanding and implementing product requirements via new and existing technology stacks.
- Implementing automated unit test cases surrounding your code.
- Participating in bi-directional code reviews, design discussions, and task breakdowns.
- Collaborating with teammates in an Agile software development lifecycle
- Expanding your knowledge of new storage technologies and the software behind them.
- 6+ years of C/C++ software development experience within the area of storage appliances and/or enterprise storage systems
- Strong experience developing software within the Linux environment, e.g.: general administration, kernel interaction, networking, scripting languages, development tools etc.
- Excellent analytical and debugging skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Active participation in a modern/distributed team environment
- Direct experience developing code for SAN/NAS servers
- Deep working knowledge of file system architecture and principles
- Understanding and experience with software development of protocols such as SMB, NFS, Samba.
- Development level exposure to enterprise level storage technologies, distributed file systems, snapshots, replication, clustering, high availability, de-duplication, and related concepts.
- Conversance with agile software development methodologies and task break down methodologies, such as: scrum-ban, stand-ups, story mapping, planning poker, etc.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent
Keywords: linux, C++, file system, metadata, replication, distributed file system, block storage, NAS, SMB, Samba, NFS, POSIX, SDS, Object Storage, op-locks, ACLs, locking, versioning, snapshots, replication, caching, clustering, multi-threading Our Company
Hitachi Vantara is part of the Global Hitachi family. We balance innovation with an open, friendly culture and the backing of a long-established parent company, known for its ethical reputation. We guide customers from what's now to what's next by unlocking the value of their data and applications to solve their digital challenges, achieving outcomes that benefit both business and society.
Our people are our biggest asset, they drive our innovation advantage and we strive to offer a flexible and collaborative workplace where they can thrive. Diversity of thought is welcomed and our employee base is represented by several active Employee Resource Group communities. We offer industry leading benefits packages (flexible working, generous pension and private healthcare) and promote a creative and inclusive culture. If driving real change gives you a sense of pride and you are passionate about powering social good, we'd love to hear from you. Our Values
Research tells us that some applicants, especially those from underrepresented groups, can be put off from applying for roles if they need flexibility or feel they don't meet all of the set criteria. We strive to create an inclusive environment for all and are open to considering home working, compressed/flexible hours. Get in touch with us to explore how we might be able to accommodate your specific needs.
We are proud to say we are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. With Japanese roots going back over 100 years, our culture is founded on the values of our parent company expressed as the Hitachi Spirit:
Wa - Harmony, Trust, Respect
Makoto - Sincerity, Fairness, Honesty, Integrity
Kaitakusha-Seishin - Pioneering Spirit, Challenge