Are you looking for opportunities to work on high profile rail projects and advanced technology alongside experts from the around the globe? Come and join the fastest growing rail
business in the world!
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
Your new role
In this exciting role you will be responsible for leading the complex project and the project delivery team in the execution of all Hitachi Rail Ltd obligations in regards to the allocated Manufacturing & Supply Agreement (MSA). In this role you will be supporting the project management team at our state of the art manufacturing facility in Newton Aycliffe, during the mobilisation of the build of Hitachi’s new trains. This role will involve regular travel to this site.
This is a 12 month fixed term contract.
Specifically, you will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Represent HRL in all matters related to the execution of the allocated MSA, with all Hitachi Rail and external stakeholders
- Preparing and maintaining definitions of the requirements of the project and determining the best means of satisfying requirements within the context of project objectives and constraints
- Establishing and maintaining governance arrangements for the delivery of projects, defining clear roles, responsibilities and accountabilities, that align with organisational practice in accordance with direction from Project Management Office
- Management of project delivery programme, preparing and maintaining of schedules and resolution of any schedule conflicts
- Development of budgets with project delivery leads, ongoing budget ownership and management, controlling forecasts , reporting and actual costs
- Liaison with project delivery functions to ensure effective communication, Empowering and inspiring others to deliver a successful project
- Agreeing contracts, monitoring compliance and management and implementation of customer variations
- Active identification and management of risks and opportunities to planning and implementing responses to them and responding to other issues that affect projects Active management of changes to project delivery programme, scope and costs
- Management and escalation of key issues affecting the project delivery programme
- Consolidating and documenting the fundamental components of projects (scope, schedule, resource requirements, budgets, risks, opportunities and issues, and quality requirements)
- Actively support to the implementation and deployment of required framework, methodologies, process and procedures in accordance with direction from Project Management Office
- Managing the integration of project outputs into business-as-usual, addressing the readiness of users, compatibility of work systems and the realisation of benefits
- Support the management of the handover process between rolling stock supply and maintenance teams
- Support projects department planning through active forecasting and management of project resource requirements.
- Identifying, addressing and resolving differences between individuals and/or interest groups
- Managing stakeholders, taking account of their levels of influence and particular interests
- Developing, maintaining and applying quality management processes for project activities and outputs
- Identifying, defining, evaluating, planning, tracking and realising the business benefits of programmes
- (and/or the projects within them)
- Promoting the wider public good in all actions, acting in a morally, legally and socially appropriate manner in dealings with stakeholders, members of project teams and the organisation
- Be a leading example of the HRL missions, visions and values
Key Skills & Experience - Essential Requirements
- Complex project management experience within a manufacturing or operational environment
- Has worked in multi-functional and international teams
- Has demonstrable experience of leading project launch and initiation activities
- Strong planning skills
- Experience of managing budgets and costs
- Sound commercial acumen
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Can represent / interact across all levels of the business
- Good knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft office packages
- Flexibility in regards to domestic and international travel
- Formal, recognised Project Management qualification
- Demonstrable experience of interfacing with customers, stakeholders and sub suppliers at all levels
- The ability to work on own initiative, setting clear targets and deliverables
- A self-starter willing to take responsibility for delivery of goals and objectives
- Proven ability to co-ordinate several existing teams, in different countries, and drive them to an integrated delivery plan
- Proven performance of project delivery
- Familiar and comfortable in working in a project/function matrix organisation
- Knowledge and experience of manufacturing/rolling stock manufacture is desirable
- Good knowledge of SAP or equivalent MRP system
- Experience of managing whole project cycle of rolling stock manufacturing, from project launch to close.
- International management experience
- Knowledge of bid evaluation using whole life cycle cost model
- Bi or multi-lingual – English/Japanese/Italian
- Engineering/business degree
- Good overall knowledge of the process of Introduction of trains onto the UK Network
- Knowledge of the needs of the Operators and Infrastructure owners in the UK
- Knowledge of the UK and European Approvals and regulatory processes is advantageous
- Experience of managing/operating in turnkey or signalling project teams
- Highly motivated and can work with minimum supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrates perseverance, patience and commitment for long term success
- Good organisation/time management
- Enjoys challenges and problem solving
- The ability to work well under pressure
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Highly organised and methodical
- Calm and measured in pressured situations
- A team player
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!
closing date for applications is 27th September 2021.