Meet our team
We are recruiting a Senior Software Development Engineer to work as part of the development team in Hitachi Vantara Engineering. Our Product Development group are a global team of specialist software professionals, responsible for the ongoing evolution of our portfolio of enterprise storage products, building the new features and functionality that keeps our storage market leading. We collaborate as part of a truly global Hitachi team with members in the UK, US and India and are responsible for designing, developing and testing the Hitachi Network Attached Storage (HNAS) Platform product (https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/products/storage/network-attached-storage-platform.html
Our Bracknell based team are a small, close knit team of approximately 30 that work in AGILE/SCRUM teams on our HNAS platform that is a key component in our product portfolio. This role involves being an integral part of a team that produces high quality functional software and unit testing, working in a multi-disciplinary environment including software, testing, FPGA and hardware skills.
The office is located in Bracknell but we are open for hybrid or remote model of working. What you will be doing
What you bring to the team
- Working as part of an agile scrum team of skilled, mixed-discipline engineers in shaping the design, development, testing and integration of prioritised work, which will involve tackling problems of diverse scope, designing and implementing complex software while ensuring quality of the product remains high
- Expanding your knowledge and level of expertise in the latest software defined storage technologies and the software behind them
- Understanding and implementing product requirements via new and existing technology stacks and pro-actively taking part in the team's self-organization to ensure sprint goals are met
- Designing, developing and supporting software in C/C++ for embedded systems in various areas of low-level storage controller designs with concepts including protocols, APIs, and storage related applications
- Developing speed critical code interfacing with custom hardware, including a hardware-based file system
- Developing test and diagnostic systems for the hardware platform and implementing automated unit test cases surrounding your code
- Designing and implementing software and delivering new, and enhancing existing, functionality within the Hitachi NAS products
- Working with support engineers to diagnose and resolve escalated customer issues and alongside test engineers to ensure good, automated regression test coverage of product functionality
- Strong experience developing software within the Linux environment, e.g. general administration, kernel interaction, networking, scripting languages, development tools etc.
- A proven track record of delivering complex software solutions with strong hands-on C/C++ skills, ideally in storage appliances and/or enterprise storage systems, with embedded/kernel programming being an advantage
- A demonstrable understanding of the entire software lifecycle process including involvement throughout the complete development-test cycle with excellent analytical and debugging skills
- Degree in Computer Science (or other scientific discipline), or equivalent applicable experience
- Experience of working in the Python language and of programming in a multi-threaded environment
- Experience with one or more of the following: File systems, TCP/IP, NFS, CIFS/SMB, FTP, HTTP, iSCSI, Kerberos, LDAP
- An excellent attention to detail and an adaptability to change
- Additional experience in the following would be advantageous:
- Direct experience developing code for SAN/NAS servers.
- Deep working knowledge of file system architecture and principles.
- Understanding and experience with software development of protocols such as SMB, NFS, Samba.
- Development level exposure to enterprise level storage technologies, distributed file systems, snapshots, replication, clustering, high availability, de-duplication, and related concepts.
- Conversance with agile software development methodologies and task break down methodologies, such as: scrum-ban, stand-ups, story mapping, planning poker, etc.
Hitachi Vantara is part of the Global Hitachi family. We balance innovation with an open, friendly culture and the backing of a long-established parent company, known for its ethical reputation. We guide customers from what's now to what's next by unlocking the value of their data and applications to solve their digital challenges, achieving outcomes that benefit both business and society.
Our people are our biggest asset, they drive our innovation advantage, and we strive to offer a flexible and collaborative workplace where they can thrive. Diversity of thought is welcomed and our employee base is represented by several active Employee Resource Group communities. We offer industry leading benefits packages (flexible working, generous pension and private healthcare) and promote a creative and inclusive culture. If driving real change gives you a sense of pride and you are passionate about powering social good, we'd love to hear from you.Our Values
We strive to create an inclusive environment for all and are open to considering home working and flexible arrangements. Get in touch with us to explore how we might be able to accommodate your specific needs.
We are proud to say we are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. With Japanese roots going back over 100 years, our culture is founded on the values of our parent company expressed as the Hitachi Spirit: Wa - Harmony, Trust, Respect; Makoto - Sincerity, Fairness, Honesty, Integrity; Kaitakusha-Seishin - Pioneering Spirit, Challenge.