Software Support Engineer - L3 Support
We are looking to add motivated, talented people that enjoy the challenge of solving technical problems to our Support / Operational Engineering team.
The L3 Support team sits within the Product Support team and provides level-three support for Pentaho's customers. Successful people on this team are skilled with java and like to reverse-engineer our client's implementations to find creative solutions to issues that are raised.
Operational Engineers explain Pentaho's various APIs to customers and colleagues.
This includes providing troubleshooting advice, building mock-ups of customized environments, analyzing logs and stacktraces and reading/verifying/improving documentation for the following:
- Pentaho Server REST API (automate tasks that are normally performed by a user or administrator interacting with the UI)
- Authentication and Authorization API (Java application code used to integrate Pentaho with customer authentication/authorization systems)
- Multi-tenancy API (Java Application code which adds data security that is transparent to the end user)
- Kettle Engine API (Java that is 1. embedding the Kettle engine in other Java Applications outside Pentaho Server. Creating plugins for Pentaho Data Integration)
- Reporting Engine API (this is rare, but an API for embedding Pentaho Reporting in a Java application outside Pentaho Server)
The right candidate for this position enjoys providing support to other IT professionals in a fast-paced environment with lots of technical variety.
- Be an advocate for our customers
- Provide product support for installation and configuration of custom modules in the Pentaho Software Suite
- Provide clear, crisp communication to colleagues in understandable, easy to follow directions
- Setting proper expectations regarding client issues to ensure there is no ambiguity around solutions / timelines / etc.
- Document enhancement requests for products
- Communicating effectively internally with the Pentaho Engineering and Product Management teams to reproduce, resolve and document support cases
- Maintaining an accurate and complete description of cases managed through Pentaho's case tracking and problem management system.
- Contributing knowledge on a regular basis to the Pentaho Knowledge Base, FAQs, examples and how-to's for publication for customers and the Pentaho knowledge system.
- Professional experience in troubleshooting, maintaining, or developing data-driven applications connected to relational databases, XML sources, web services, flat file, and big data driven backend system.
- Hands-on experience with Java applications and core technologies such as:
- Web development tools: JSP, XML, HTML, JDBC/JNDI
- Operating Systems: Linux, Windows, Solaris
- Application servers: Tomcat, JBoss, Websphere, Weblogic
- Databases: Oracle, MySQL, SQLServer, BigData
- Authentication and Authorization: SSO (SAML, CAS, OAUTH, etc), MSAD, Spring Security
- Excellent analytical, debugging and problem-solving skills
- Quick Learner
- Ability to systematically assess and accurately diagnose software-related problems (both individually and within a team setting)
- Ability to interact effectively and empathize with customers
- Prior experience (5+ years) installing, administering and maintaining computer systems and applications in an enterprise IT environment
- B.A. or B.S. Degree from an accredited university (may substitute an Associate's degree plus 4 additional years of experience)
- Fluency in multiple languages (English, French, German, Spanish) a plus
- Professional technical certifications a plus
- Experience deploying Business Intelligence (BI) related software and/or building reports within BI related software is a big plus
- Familiarity with Cloudera, Hadoop - MapReduce technologies, Amazon Web Services - other data housing technologies
- Passion to explore new technologies
- A sense of urgency when interacting with customers
- Ability to manage customer expectations
- Understanding of the importance and value of good communication
- Ability to work efficiently on multiple active support cases, effectively "switch gears" and manage multiple time-critical tasks
- Attention to detail
- Demonstrates a sense of ownership in all duties assigned