The Research and Development Supervisor will be expected to identify, propose, and conduct independent research and development (R&D) projects in the areas of plasma etch hardware improvement and process development. In addition, the Supervisor will assist in managing the Portland Research and Development (PRD) staff in order to meet team, department, and company objectives. These objectives are focused on meeting semiconductor manufacturing customer requirements for current and future technology process solutions, with the goal of achieving new and expanding current business.
- Manage the PRD staff according to company policies, procedures and business expectations.
- Develop employees by training, cross training, and providing continuing education opportunities.
- Effectively lead a team and provide leadership, guidance and direction as the Supervisor.
- Publish or present successful R&D efforts in industry related forums as required to advertise Hitachi’s technical capabilities.
- Keep abreast of industry trends and market conditions by continuing education, attending seminars, and reading industry-related publications.
- Implement and oversee performance reviews and performance management.
- Select, develop, and evaluate department personnel to ensure efficient completion of established objectives.
- Plan, coordinate, lead and/or attend meetings related to PRD operations.
- Research, create and submit purchase orders for materials and services maintaining accuracy and conformance with established policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Communicate regularly to staff regarding the company’s plans and how their work fits into corporate as well as Semiconductor Equipment Division (SED) goals and objectives.
- Coordinate the scheduling and staffing of PRD resources, establish operational objectives, and delegate assignments to subordinates.
- Oversee and drive to completion special projects and assigned tasks with minimum supervision.
- Day-to-Day responsibilities include completing assigned tasks in a timely fashion, performing routine development tasks and tool operation, and improving specific process development knowledge and skills.
- Hands-on dry etch process development, including performing customer demonstrations, R&D of new dry etch technology trends, and meeting the objectives of customer requirements for current and future technology processes.
- Operate Hitachi etch systems and be able to train new engineers in the use of these toolsets.
- Analysis of data, design and execution of experiments including Design of Experiment (DOE).
- Generate internal and external presentations with engineering specifications.
- Lead customer discussions regarding demonstration results and new product evaluations.
- Interface with Hitachi Corporate R&D headquarters in Japan.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Ph.D. Degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related science field preferred.
- B.S. Degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related science field is required (minimum).
EXPERIENCE AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- 4 years’ experience in plasma etch process for memory or logic devices as a researcher or R&D engineer.
- Possible travel to Japan for training or customer sites worldwide as needed. (up to 10%)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
- Must be willing to travel to Japan for 3-6 months training assignment in first year.
- Periodic international business trips may be required throughout the year.
- Candidate must have good verbal and written communication, strong analytical capabilities and problem-solving skills.
- General technical knowledge of semiconductor devices and wafer processing.
- Self-motivated and ability to adapt to changes in a fast-moving environment.
- Demonstrate effective project planning, and execution, with on-time delivery of milestones.
- Strong engineering analytical skills. Understanding of the Scientific Method and experience using it.
- Ability to operate safely, with limited supervision, in a complex laboratory environment.
- Ability to work in teams in leadership and subordinate roles, as well as individually.
- Must be able to work in a clean room environment for extended hours.
- Support research proposal creation and submittal.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office software competency.
- Job Related ComplianceWire training
- Additional training to handle solvents, acids, bases, gases, or other chemicals used in the lab.
- Must be able to follow protocol and procedures pertaining to safety requirements.
POSITION - SAFETY RISKS AND HAZARDS
- Gases (toxic and non toxic) and handling of wet chemicals for sample preparation and analysis such as dilute HF.
Warning: Due to the nature of the work environment, this job may require working on equipment or in work areas where electromagnetic frequencies may be present from some of the equipment (intensity may vary) which could possibly interfere with certain medical implants or devices. If you have questions, contact Human Resources.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to [email protected]