Summary of the position:
The Embedded Controls Engineer is an essential part of the New Product Development Engineering group and the success of Sullair products. This role, located in Michigan City, Indiana, is responsible for developing and integrating the electrical controls systems into compressor products. The successful candidate must be able to work on multiple programs cross-functionally. The ideal candidate will need to be a self-driven strong communicator that is passionate about electrical and controls systems design and development for industrial applications.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Contribute to the overall control systems architecture and requirements for new products.
- Design and develop electrical control systems into Sullair products using knowledge of current technology available to deliver innovative design solutions to best in class products.
- Design, develop, and maintain electrical/control systems and components to required specifications, focusing on economy, safety, reliability, quality and sustainability. This includes new products, product line extensions, incremental updates, and maintenance releases.
- Maintain legacy software with limited documentation.
- Responsible for New Product Development program deliverables on all electrical control aspects including: concept designs, design reviews, and maintaining design guidelines.
- Integrate VSDs (variable speed drives), motors, and controls systems to meet application requirements.
- Work cross-functionally with Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, Purchasing, Service, and Commercial teams on all electrical and controls related design items and changes.
- Collaborate with internal engineering functions to ensure design deliverables, target costs, and project timing are met and properly documented.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- Advanced Degree is a plus MSEE.
- MUST be U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder due to U.S. Government laws regarding R&D.
- Degree in Computer/Electrical engineering with 3 years of experience in electrical controls requirements, analysis, design, development, integration, and testing. Experience working for a global manufacturer in the compressor or industrial machinery industries is highly desired.
- Solid knowledge of embedded C programing for microcontrollers is required. Highly desired: ARM Cortex-M4, STM32F4 series, IDEs like Eclipse, Keil µVision IDE and MDK.
- Strong background in integrating hardware and software, using basic electrical and software tools and test equipment: schematics, oscilloscope, multimeter, soldering iron, etc.
- Solid knowledge of microcontroller fundamentals such as GPIO, ADC, DAC, PWM, Timers, Interrupts, Watchdog, DMA, I2C, SPI, UART/USART, etc.
- Experience with advanced protocols such as USB, Ethernet TCP/IP, Modbus RTU via RS-232 and RS-485, Modbus TCP, CAN bus, etc. is a huge plus.
- Experience using debugging tools for embedded systems and tools for static code analysis such as PC-Lint is desired.
- Experience in RTOS like Azure RTOS ThreadX, Linux is desirable.
- Board bring up is experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of electronics and PCB design to facilitate new designs.
- Source code version control system experience is desired– Azure DevOps, Subversion/SVN/Tortoise SVN is a plus.
- MS Visual Studio C# experience is a plus.
- Past experience with understanding and troubleshooting compressor and/or industrial machinery operation and control problems is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work very effectively within a team/cross functional teams and meet deadlines without sacrificing quality. Able to successfully manage multiple projects/programs simultaneously.
- Ability to travel occasionally as needed to support business needs – anticipate less than 5%.
The successful candidate is responsible for complying with Sullair’s Code of Ethics and related policies. In performing the job, the incumbent shall take all steps necessary to comply with our safety rules and requirements and must actively support the organization's efforts to meet and exceed its goals of creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
This description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company's discretion.
Sullair is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or other protected categories under applicable law, whether in recruitment, employment, promotion, transfer, compensation, or other conditions of employment.