Summary of the position:
The Embedded Controls Software Engineer is an essential part of the New Product Development Engineering group and the success of Sullair products. This role is responsible for developing and integrating the electrical controls systems into compressor products. The successful candidate must be able to work on multiple programs cross-functionally. The ideal candidate will need to be a self-driven strong communicator that is intimately familiar with electrical and controls systems design and development for industrial applications. The position can be split between the plant in Michigan City, Indiana (40%) and Sullair Chicago (60%) and is boots-on-the-ground, not remote.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Define overall control systems architecture and requirements for new products.
- Develop software solutions to controls systems and problems.
- Design and develop electrical control systems into Sullair products using knowledge of current technology available to deliver innovative design solutions to best in class products.
- Design, develop, and maintain electrical/control systems and components to required specifications, focusing on economy, safety, reliability, quality and sustainability. This includes new products, product line extensions, incremental updates, and maintenance releases.
- Responsible for New Product Development program deliverables on all electrical controls aspects including: concept designs, design reviews, DFMEA’s, DVP&R’s, DRD’s, best practices, risk assessment, and maintaining design guidelines.
- Size and integrate VSDs (variable speed drives), motors, and controls systems to meet application requirements.
- Work cross-functionally with Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, Purchasing, Service, and Commercial teams on all electrical and controls related design items and changes.
- Collaborate with internal engineering functions to ensure design deliverables, target costs, and project timing are met and properly documented.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
- Advanced Degree is a plus MSEE.
- MUST be U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder due to U.S. Government laws regarding R&D.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in electrical controls requirements, analysis, design, development, integration, and testing. Experience working for a global manufacturer in the compressor or industrial machinery industries is highly desired. (Three Phase Circuit Design, SAE J1939, UL508A, CSA, NEC, CE).
- Knowledge of rotary screw compressor systems and requirements is highly desired. Familiarity with CAGI (Compressed Air & Gas Institute) standards is a plus.
- Solid knowledge of embedded C programing for microcontrollers is required. Highly desired: ARM Cortex-M4, Renesas Synergy SSP, STM32F4 series, Keil µVision IDE and MDK.
- Write unit and module test scripts in Python.
- Solid knowledge of microcontroller fundamentals such as GPIO, ADC, DAC, PWM, Timers, Interrupts, Watchdog, DMA, I2C, SPI, UART/USART, etc.
- Experience with advanced protocols such as USB, Ethernet TCP/IP, Modbus RTU via RS-232 and RS-485, Modbus TCP, CAN bus, etc.
- Working with Git and Azure DevOps/Jira/GitHub is highly desired.
- Experience using debugging tools for embedded systems and tools for static code analysis such as PC-Lint is desired.
- Experience in Linux and RTOS is desirable.
- Board bring up is experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of electronics and PCB design to facilitate new designs with third-party partners.
- Source code version control system experience is desired– Subversion/SVN/Tortoise SVN is a plus.
- Strong background in integrating hardware and software, using basic electrical and software tools and test equipment: schematics, oscilloscope, multimeter, soldering iron, etc.
- Self-driven professional able to plan/prioritize workload without direct guidance or direction from management to meet project/program time constraints with history of driving results.
- Exceptional comprehension of interactions between sub-systems, and components. Extensive experience with understanding and troubleshooting compressor and/or industrial machinery operating and control problems is desired.
- Strong working knowledge of electrical and controls applications for electric motor application.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proven ability to effectively interact and liaise with staff at all levels in a very diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work very effectively within a team/cross functional teams and meet deadlines without sacrificing quality. Able to successfully manage multiple projects/programs simultaneously.
- Ability to sit at a desk for long periods of time while performing design work on a computer. Lab work on R&D machines will be required during associated project phases.
- Ability to travel occasionally as needed to support business needs – anticipate less than 5%.
The successful candidate is responsible for complying with Sullair’s Code of Ethics and related policies. In performing the job, the incumbent shall take all steps necessary to comply with our safety rules and requirements and must actively support the organization's efforts to meet and exceed its goals of creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
This description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company's discretion.
Sullair is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or other protected categories under applicable law, whether in recruitment, employment, promotion, transfer, compensation, or other conditions of employment.