Hitachi Vantara, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., guides our customers from what's now to what's next by solving their digital challenges. Working alongside each customer, we apply our unmatched industrial and digital capabilities to their data and applications to benefit both business and society. More than 80% of the Fortune 100 trust Hitachi Vantara to help them develop new revenue streams, unlock competitive advantages, lower costs, enhance customer experiences, and deliver social and environmental value.
Job Description Job Title Principal ConsultantReporting To Practice Principal for Work AssignmentsPrincipal Consultant Lead for Staff ManagementDirect Reports None Job Purpose
The Principal Consultant acts as the lead consultant during the sale and implementation of large programs, transformation projects and provides subject matter expertise within a specific domain or technology. The Principal Consultant is required to support services sales engagements, deliver defined business outcomes and lead the implementation team in deploying the relevant technology in adherence to the agreed solution design. The Principal Consultant may also provide advice on the proposed solution, with an objective of selling Hitachi Vantara services and solutions. Principal Consultants also provide leadership, coaching and support to other technical consultants. The Principal Consultant provides the necessary advice to ensure that custom elements of a solution can be built, are fully supported and that deliverables are clearly defined and agreed with the customer at the point of sale. Responsibilities
- Assist sales, pre-sales and services sales teams in services sales pursuits and engagements.
- Provide pioneering subject matter expertise and advise on the best possible solution. Recipients of this advice may be: customers, the pre-sales teams, sales teams, services sales team, professional services practice team, Global Delivery team and partners.
- Create or manage the creation of detailed technical designs from high level solution designs based on analysis of customer's environment and requirements.
- Proactively manage and lead the delivery of customer-focused workshops, showing agility, flexibility and a capability to be creative in solutioning, whilst aligning to the Hitachi line of business products and services.
- Act as the lead consultant and delivery subject matter expert in both a pre-sales context and on delivery engagements. Execute projects according to the agreed work plan under direction of the Project Manager, and where necessary, direct technical consultants in their delivery tasks.
- Provide project status information to account teams and Project Managers, including risk identification, task delay and task completion estimates. Validate with the Project Manager that the completion expectations have been met.
- Proactively alert the Project Manager of potential problems based upon strong working knowledge of software and hardware compatibility within the customer's environment.
- Identify, analyze and manage technical risks within projects and make strategic decisions on what will be the most effective use of resources to drive increased profitability.
- Participate in strategic project review sessions to share materials or lessons learned with the wider services team. Principal Consultants play a critical role in the knowledge feedback loop for refining existing solutions and the creation of new service offerings.
- Develop skills and work with the manager to attend prescribed/requested training as defined in the training scheudle, demonstrating accountability for keeping own performance on track and a commitment to personal learning and development. Ensuring technical skills are at the forefront of subject matter expertise.
- Provide guidance to local teams or third party Partners to collaborate and implement the technical solution, build mutual support and and develop an understanding with colleagues across functions.
- Provide subject matter expertise to troubleshoot implementation and operational issues, tailoring information, insights and arguments for different stakeholders.
- Seek advice and escalate to management for assistance and or relevant support as required during critical customer situations by adhering to documented escalation procedures.
- Build relationship with associated Principal Consultants in other Hitachi territories and practices to share knowledge and review/validate intended project approach, provide a clear sense of direction, by aligning goals, objectives and priorities to business strategy.
- Prepares, maintains and submits activity/progress reports and time recording/management reports in accordance with published procedures.
- Assist in or be responsible for the creation of knowledge management articles and perform all knowledge management tasks in accordance with defined processes, procedures and personal KPIs.
- Effectively represent Hitachi in a professional manner to the customer at all times.
- Willingness to work on a flexible schedule and travel where required.
- Certified consultant or technology equivalent accredited in specialist area.
- Deep technical IT-related experience.
- Technical consultancy and enterprise experience inlcuding experience working with customers in a pre-sales or delivery capacity.
- Significant experience within Hitachi technologies, a similar competitor, end user or IT consultancy services provider.
- Technical degree qualification preferred.
- Appreciation of multiple technology platforms.
- Deep understanding of managed infrastructure technologies and how they can be deployed to fit customer solution requirements.
- A willingness to take the lead on projects and programs with new technologies and disseminate knowledge and feedback to the wider team.
- Exposure to large complex project and programs.
- Demonstrating leadership versatility - lead by example, motivate and inspire others, able to interact successfully with customers, vendors and employees at all levels in the organisation.
- Proactive delivery - striving to exceed expectations, demonstrating accountability for keeping own performance on track.
- Conflict management - able to remain calm under pressure and able to diffuse difficult situations by effectively managing customer expectations.
- Persuasive influencing - tailoring information, insights and arguments for different stakeholders.
- Critical thinking - able to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Communication and presentation skills - strong ability to present and translate very complex storage solutions or strategies into simple to understand clear concepts and objectives for project execution.
- Team work - building mutual support and understanding with colleagues across functions.
- Setting direction - providing clear sense of direction by aligning goals, objectives and priorities to business strategies.
- Driving continuous improvements - challenging current practice to drive innovation in everything they do.
- Owning your development - demonstrating commitment to personal learning and development.
- Operates with the highest integrity and effectively role models and upholds our Company Values, the Hitachi Spirit.
- Subject matter expertise and rating on the various skill areas within The Hitachi University.
- Engagement and feedback from Project Managers and sales teams.
- Billable and Utilization percentage as a function of time-reporting.
- Stakeholder Management skills: clearly and effectively communicates with Customers and ensures that Custom-ers understand and have visibility to activities and deliverables as required demonstrating company values in all customer interactions.
- Delivery of new and updated services as developed within Hitachi Vantara.
- Experience with working in high-risk technical environments and with challenging customers.
- Experience with high-profile accounts and contribution to shape Professional Service delivery within those customers.
- Flexibility and a willingness to do whatever it takes for the greater good for the project.
- Communication and an ability to communicate effectively and professionally with all functions of Hitachi Vantara and customers.
- Actively supports and participates in a culture of knowledge sharing
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.