Summary of the position:
The Environmental Health and Safety Specialist is responsible for implementation of regulatory and other safety and environmental programs under the direction of the site EHS Manager. The EHS Specialist conducts EHS employee site training, EHS inspections, analyzes and maintains EHS recordkeeping systems, and participates in EHS program activities to ensure employee safety and regulatory compliance. This position requires the skills and ability to interact effectively with employees at all organizational levels; motivate employees; communicate and coordinate effectively with internal and external customers. The ideal candidate will be able to perform technical work in a wide range of environmental, health, and safety disciplines to ensure a safe work environment and achieve compliance with our environmental, health and safety standards.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Recognized as a backup to the EHS Manager.
- Develop, implement and maintain environmental, health and safety policies and procedures in compliance with Sullair, local, state and federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations to ensure the overall safety and health of employees, contractors and site visitors.
- Serve as a technical expert; providing technical advice, interpretation of various regulations and policies and direction to Sullair Employees on Environmental, Health and Safety issues. Maintain a working knowledge of regulations.
- Oversee First Response Team Program and provide onsite support during emergencies.
- Continuously monitor and review processes, designs, procedures and operating equipment to minimize hazard potential and recommends improvements to supervisor.
- Coordinate, purchase and track personal protective equipment for Electrical Safety and Arc Flash.
- Oversee Chemical procurement SDS process with site database (Incora) and update SDS in on-line system.
- Conduct investigations for accidents, incidents, injuries and complaints concerning potential hazards or unsafe conditions in the workplace.
- Assist in all aspects of workers' compensation program; reporting, claims review, and OSHA 300 documentation.
- Develop, coordinate and perform new employee Environmental, Health & Safety training, contractor EHS training and various presentations on Environmental and Safety topics to employees including regulatory training.
- Coordinate IH testing for sound and personal exposures. Coordinate Respiratory protection and hearing conservation programs.
- Provide safety and environmental information by preparing charts, graphs, and presentations.
- Update EHS Boards and posters throughout the facility.
- Update various spreadsheets tracking site Environmental, Health and Safety training to meet OSHA/EPA requirements.
- Coordinate, implement and maintain OSHA VPP, ISO 14001 programs including Management System Internal audits/inspections for the facility in accordance with OSHA VPP and ISO 14001 standards.
- Perform internal audits for EHS and Facility Engineering. Participate and work with any external planned audits
- Drive participation in SWAT Suggestion Program; supplying critical data, coaching, and supervisor support. Oversee and complete on-line requirements for SWAT database.
- Oversite of Office Ergonomics program through on-line system.
- Completion of orders for EHS Supplies as needed. Identify and purchase special PPE orders.
- Maintain Safety Records: Training, Facility Safety Requirements and Contractor Records
- Tracking of delivery tickets for Waste, Recycling and Metal Recycling.
- Administration for access and control of PPE vending machines.
- Schedule promote and oversight of blood drives, annual flu shots, Steel Toe shoe mobile, Audiometric Testing mobile.
- Schedule annual First Response team training refresher and/or full course with Fire Department or American Red Cross.
Knowledge & Skills
- Advanced knowledge of Federal OSHA regulations and requirements, particularly as they relate to occupational and industrial safety and health practices.
- Proficient and knowledgeable in laws, regulations and compliance requirements for hazardous material (HAZMAT) and hazardous waste management.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Proven leadership ability. Ability to get results through influence, negotiation and teamwork.
- BS degree in Safety or a closely related field required.
- Two plus years of previous safety experience where safety work is at least 50% of job duties preferred.
- OSHA, NFPA, IDEM regulatory knowledge and experience.
- Experience with Industrial Hygiene Monitoring and requirements.
- Excellent verbal as well as written communication skills.
- Computer skills and Knowledge; proficient in Word and Excel and Power Point.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Self-starter, motivated individual.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Able to work with confidential information while maintaining confidentiality.
The successful candidate is responsible for complying with Sullair’s Code of Ethics and related policies. In performing the job, the incumbent shall take all steps necessary to comply with our safety rules and requirements and must actively support the organization's efforts to meet and exceed its goals of creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
This description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company's discretion.
Sullair is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or other protected categories under applicable law, whether in recruitment, employment, promotion, transfer, compensation, or other conditions of employment.