Are you looking for opportunities to work on high profile rail projects and advanced technology alongside experts from the around the globe? Come and join the fastest growing rail
business in the world!
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
Your new role
In this exciting role you will working within the Service and Maintenance Engineering Department. The suitable candidate will provide support from a technical perspective relating to materials supply, materials change and strategic development of materials. This will be in support of new fleet introduction, on-going maintenance, overhaul and engineering projects.
This role can be based at any of our UK locations.
Specifically, you will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Assist with the creation and validation of Bills of Material (BOMs) to support:
- The introduction of new rolling stock. Liaising with suppliers to identify supplier part numbers, and create parts catalogues.
- Overhaul programmes, working with Hitachi Rail Engineers and suppliers.
- Modification programmes.
- Support the materials team with day to day parts identification, including part numbers and suppliers.
- Define and maintain the strategy for identification of parts obsolescence, ensuring the identification of parts in a timely manner, in order to implement actions to support the ongoing materials supply in-line with operational demands.
- Review supplier instigated modification of components, ensuring technical compliance and assist the Reliability Engineer with assessing the impact on performance.
- Review and approve the materials aspect of engineering change submissions, and ensure relevant documentations relating to materials change is updated.
- Assist with technical investigations and provide technical expertise in support of warranty claims.
- Classify and identify localised supply of materials in line with the Hitachi Rail Materials Classification Policy.
- Other relevant tasks as allocated by the Senior Maintenance Development Engineer.
Continuous Improvement and Quality
- Actively encourage identification of alternative components, or new material technologies, which improve safety, reliability, longevity and cost savings.
- Actively encourage feedback to continuously improve business, or functional processes and procedures.
- Continuously develop cross functional and departmental processes.
- Undertake lessons learnt reviews to ensure continual improvement.
Finance and Commercial
- Continue to maintain and develop good relationships with customers, and peers by ensuring consistent delivery of targets, ensuring that escalations are dealt with promptly.
- Understand customer requirements to ensure plans are kept up-to-date, and relationships maintained.
- Manage agreed deliverables in-line with agreed KPI’s, and identify criteria for monitoring team progress, and measuring success.
Knowledge and Experience
- Extensive Materials Engineering experience at a similar level.
- Technical & Engineering skills, qualifications and experience.
- A good understanding of Rolling Stock Maintenance and overhaul practices.
- Strong understanding of materials compliance requirements.
- Proven strong organisational, collaborative and innovation experience and capability.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Strong management skills and the ability in terms of written & verbal communication; presentation skills; people skills; customer management
- Good communication and inter personal skills and able to effectively communicate and report at all levels
- Strong understanding in continuous improvement and belief in the process.
- Ability to anticipate problems and to take mitigating actions in advance of the problem being realised
- Ability to identify, integrate and manage stakeholders.
- HNC or equivalent in an engineering discipline.
- Calm and diplomatic under pressure.
- Able to represent Hitachi Rail in a professional manner at all times.
- Must be a team player and willing to, from time to time, contribute to issues considered outside of the day to day role.
- Promote lifelong working and personal development of staff.
- Encourage self-review and continuous improvement.
- Look to reward and celebrate success
- Must be willing to travel and stay away, both within and outside of the UK from time to time
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!
Closing date for applications is 31st January 2022.