This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: R0005286
Date Posted: Dec 16, 2021
Business Unit: Hitachi Rail
Company Name: Hitachi Rail STS Canada, Inc.
Profession (Job Category): Other
Job Type (Experience Level): Experienced
Job Schedule: Full time
Hitachi Rail is looking for an enthusiastic self-motivated Principal Operations & Readiness Manager who thrives in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate is comfortable performing a wide range of tasks from administrative to strategic. The position is based in Toronto, ON
The O&M Operations Manager is a leadership role with responsibility for implementing Hitachi’s strategy to deliver a safe and world class customer experience to Transit Systems. The O&M Operations Manager will oversee the mobilization of the Operations Departments and ensure that the staff are fully trained and organized in sufficient time to commence Trial Running. This position will also unify all Operations Business across North America. The O&M Operations Manager will play a key role in launching the new system(s) into revenue service and be responsible for ensuring safe, smooth operations of the system(s) under a wide range of normal, degraded and emergency situations. The O&M Operations Manager will also be responsible for meeting operational KPI’s, staff budgets and other performance targets.
Technical and Customer Service Responsibilities
• Lead and oversee the Operations team(s) in the delivery of customer service to passengers;
• Lead OCC, train and station operations;
• Act as the principal interface with the Client and Third Parties on all operational matters;
• Ensure that staff fully implement safety and security procedures;
• Assess the operations against performance targets and implement improvements;
• Identify, implement and track performance improvement initiatives;
• Delivery of the Monthly Operations report;
• Ensure that all published performance attributions calculation and reports are accurate as per the concession agreement calculation;
• Special Event Planning and Coordination with internal and external parties including the client and emergency services;
• Chair regular Operations Performance meetings and follow up actions and initiatives to enhance performance delivery;
• Supervise the Train and Stations Manager, Control Room Manager and the Operations Planning Manager;
• Conduct mid-year and annual staff performance reviews;
• Chair/participate on investigations into incidents that occur
• Stakeholder Interface
• Represent Hitachi on all matters related to Operations responsibilities according to the Interface & Stakeholder Management Plan;
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with all relevant Stakeholders to secure the necessary support for efficient operation;
• Attend meetings relating to the Bidding and Mobilization Period to ensure that the Operations organization’s interests are fully represented to successfully launch Revenue Services.
• Oversee implementation and adherence to the organizational policies and plans, and actively contribute to the Senior Management Group (direct reports to the Head of O&M );
• Work collaboratively with the Head of O&M to monitor and control activities leading to the successful bid and launch projects into revenue service on time and within budget;
• Ensure that the Operations Department is optimally structured, managed, integrated, and resourced to carry out the services efficiently and meet the performance objectives;
• Develop and maintain strong relationships between team members to ensure aligned interests, collaborative working, and the efficient, sustainable execution of the contract
• Inspire and motivate the Operations Team to achieve service excellence;
• Work with line management and the Human Resources team to identify, recruit, mobilize, train, develop, motivate, and manage talented people;
• Oversee implementation, and adherence to the Competency Management System and the associated plans to ensure competent people are available from within the organization, and from external service providers, to effectively achieve the legal and contractual requirements;
• Ensure that the Operations Team receive meaningful inductions, performance reviews, and development plans that support the individuals and the organization in good succession planning;
• Reward the team and recognize people for delivering service excellence.
• Quality & Environmental Management
• Oversee implementation, and adherence to Hitachi’s Quality and Environmental Policies;
• Ensure that staff in Operations are fully aware and implement Quality and Environmental policies and procedures;
• Lead the regular (not less than annually) the Operations rules, procedures and instructions;
• Participate in regular Quality and Environmental audits and ensure that corrective actions, non-conformances and recommended areas for improvement are followed up and closed out.
Finance & Commercial
• Adhere to high-standards of governance and probity, and advocate a strong culture across the Department for the same
• Lead Departmental contributions towards strategy for Proposal / Contract delivery.
• Ensure effective cost management in Operations that achieves department cost objectives;
• Minimum of 10 years’ proven track records of operations in the rail industry with senior management responsibilities;
• Proven track record in the management of planning, operations and operations interfacing with an ongoing railway construction and commercial & contractual matters;
• Demonstrated ability in leading, managing and developing multi-cultural teams;
• Experience of managing rail operations with complex and stringent safety and environment requirements;
• Comprehensive appreciation of health and safety legislation and contract requirements relating to railway operations
• Proven ability to set, monitor and achieve dynamic safety objectives
• Prepared to be on-call during out of office hours to attend to major incidents that impact operations.
• Must possess a bachelor’s degree or extensive proven experience in all aspects of rail operations management;
• Thorough understanding of all aspects of health, safety, quality and environmental issues related to railway operations and maintenance including legal and statutory requirements;
• A respected leader and creative thinker, able to work closely and in partnership with both with the Project Team, the O&M Team and the Client organization;
• Excellent people leadership skills. Must be skilled in communicating, cross cultural management, organizational culture development and motivating staff
• Politically incisive in communicating effectively with government agencies, Contract board members, media/press, contractors and staff and unions as required;
• Highly motivated and flexibility to work in a time-sensitive environment to respond quickly and effectively to unanticipated high workloads, events and emergencies;
• Excellent analytical reasoning ability and capable of making decisions on complex matters;
• Ability to see problems as opportunities and to manage well under pressure;
• Capacity to contribute to strategic business management issues;
• Ability to influence senior management, establish and maintain collaborative partnerships and provide thought leadership at senior transport events;
• Highly skilled influencer with excellent negotiation skills;
• Ability to manage a defined budget, ensuring cost efficiency and value for money; and to forecast and prepare team budget plans and manage the implementation of spend against agreed objectives;
• Exposure to and interpretation of the financial-management of simple and complex organization
• Able to demonstrate the competence in the productive use of resources to achieve end-result within stiff constraints;
• Excellent financial, commercial, business development and HR acumen to support the improvement of business performance.
• Candidate should have previous experience in Canada and with LRT, HR and Regional Rail