The Controls Engineering Manager is responsible for delivering superior results to the customer by leading a team of Engineers to develop, test, and implement appropriate engineering automation solutions. This position is responsible for the overall performance of engineering projects, budgets, employee development and training needs, and managing the team’s annual review process.
What You'll Do:
- Provides leadership and support to the Engineering team in regards to design, trouble-shooting and resolution of open issues
- Partners with Account Management and Estimating to properly evaluate proposals and provides necessary engineering input
- Collaborates with Project Managers to determine project requirements and assist in the assignment of individuals to projects
- Collaborates with Project Managers to guide engineering staff to ensure work is:
Note: This list of responsibilities is by no means inclusive; however, it is intended to be a guideline for activities.
- Technically correct and to standards
- On project schedule
- Within project budget
- Establishes and maintains long term, positive working relationships with customers and internal team members
- Facilitates and participates in Design Review Meetings
- Facilitates Service, Repair and/or Warranty requests as required which includes, but is not limited to: reviewing Purchase Orders, scheduling the appropriate staff for the job, and providing follow up support
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with external subcontractors and recommends outsourcing when necessary; assists Project Managers with technical oversight of outsourced work
- Provides technical support, guidance and training to the Engineering team
- Effectively participates in the annual review process by monitoring each employee’s performance and developing training plans; assists employees with establishing and obtaining future career goals
- Assists employees with development activities such as determining training needs, scheduling training, collaborating with other employees, etc.
- Reviews and recommends changes to staffing levels in order to meet the customer’s needs
- Reviews resumes for open positions, participates in interviews with candidates, and provides feedback as required
What You'll Bring:
- Strong background in GM Standards with certifications in GCCH, GCCS and GM Networks preferred
- Strong background in either GM Bodyshop or GA Controls Systems and processes
- Thorough knowledge of Control Logix PLCs and Safety PLCs
- Knowledge of Servo and VFD Drives, their application and grounding techniques
- Thorough knowledge of Pneumatics design
- Understanding of CAD development techniques and/or PLC development and programming
- Excellent analytical and creative problem solving skills
- Understanding of project performance from a technical and financial perspective
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, as well as Google Applications (such as Gmail, Calendar and Docs)
- Ability to work onsite within the offices or at customer locations as required
- Ability to meet deadlines without endangering the safety of himself/herself or others, or the integrity of the equipment
- Ability to interact professionally with customers, and maintain a positive working relationship, which at times may be under difficult circumstances and/or high-pressure situations
What You'll Have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering Discipline or relevant experience as determined by a Director or Group Manager
- 5+ years of Project Engineering experience, preferably experience that is directly-related to machinery and equipment; or relevant experience as determined by a Director or Group Manager
- 3+ years of Senior Project Engineering or Project Management experience, preferably experience that is directly-related to machinery and equipment, or relevant experience as determined by a General Manager
At JR Automation, A Hitachi Group Company, our talented teams leverage the latest technologies, innovative thinking, and decades of experience to provide our global customers with world-class automation equipment. We transform processes & optimize operations with the solutions we design, build, program & deploy for nearly every industry. Our people are the heart of our operations, and we believe unique skills and capabilities enable us to grow, collaborate and evolve.
Join our team of 2,200+ at one of the 27 facilities around the globe. We offer competitive pay, great benefits, apprenticeship programs, tuition reimbursement and training opportunities to develop your skills.
Come Think. Solve. Create. With Us!