Summary of the position:
The Environmental Health and Safety Generalist is responsible for implementation of regulatory and other safety and environmental programs under the direction of the site EHS Manager. The EHS Specialist conducts EHS employee site training, EHS inspections, and participates in EHS program activities to ensure employee safety and regulatory compliance.
This position requires the skills and ability to interact effectively with employees at all organizational levels; motivate employees; communicate and coordinate effectively with internal and external customers. The ideal candidate will be able to perform technical work in a wide range of environmental, health and safety disciplines to ensure a safe work environment and achieve compliance with our environmental, health and safety standards.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work with the EHS Manager to develop, implement and maintain environmental, health and safety policies and procedures in compliance with Sullair, local, state and federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations to ensure the overall safety and health of employees, contractors and site visitors.
- Serve as a technical expert; providing technical advice, interpretation of various regulations and policies and direction to Sullair employees on Environmental, Health and Safety issues. Maintain a working knowledge of regulations.
- Continuously monitor and review processes, designs, procedures and operating equipment to minimize hazard potential and recommend improvements to EHS Manager. Provide safety and environmental information by preparing charts, graphs and presentations, as needed.
- Conduct investigations for accidents, incidents, injuries and complaints concerning potential hazards or unsafe conditions in the workplace.
- Develop, coordinate and perform Environmental, Health & Safety training as needed, including new employee/contractor EHS training and other Environmental and Safety topics, as needed.
- Responsible for EHS employee communication with individual departments.
- Complete Management System Internal audits/inspections OSHA VPP, ISO 14001 for the facility in accordance with OSHA VPP and ISO 14001 standards. Update various spreadsheets tracking site Environmental, Health and Safety training to meet OSHA/EPA requirements.
- Perform internal audits for EHS and Facility Engineering. Participate with external auditors, as needed.
- Partner with Managers to drive participation in Safety Suggestion Program (SWAT); supplying critical data, coaching, and supervisor support. Complete on-line requirements for SWAT database.
- Coordinate 90 days check back with Employee for new employees.
- Develop/Deliver weekly EHS training as needed.
- Assist with Administration of departmental EHS systems, including:
- Completion of Job Hazard Analysis
- Ergonomic Assessments
Knowledge & Skills
- Advanced knowledge of Federal OSHA regulations and requirements, particularly as they relate to occupational and industrial safety and health practices.
- Proficient and knowledgeable in laws, regulations and compliance requirements for hazardous material (HAZMAT) and hazardous waste management.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Proven leadership ability to get results through influence, negotiation and teamwork.
- Associates degree or minimum of two years post high school training/experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in EH&S or related discipline preferred.
- Two-plus years of safety experience where safety work is at least 50% of job duties, preferred.
- OSHA, NFPA, IDEM regulatory knowledge and experience.
- Experience with Industrial Hygiene Monitoring and requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer skills and knowledge; proficient in Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Self-starter, motivated individual.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Able to work with confidential information while maintaining confidentiality.
The successful candidate is responsible for complying with Sullair’s Code of Ethics and related policies. In performing the job, the incumbent shall take all steps necessary to comply with our safety rules and requirements and must actively support the organization's efforts to meet and exceed its goals of creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
This description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company's discretion.
Sullair is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or other protected categories under applicable law, whether in recruitment, employment, promotion, transfer, compensation, or other conditions of employment.