Are you looking for an opportunity to work on high profile rail projects and advanced technology alongside experts from the UK, Europe and Japan? Come and join the fastest growing rail Business in the world!
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
Your new role
We are currently recruiting dedicated Maintenance Team Leaders to join our Traincare Centre in Oxley Midlands. In this exciting role, you will be supervising the maintenance, servicing, fault finding and repairing of Hitachi’s rolling stock assets. You will be managing a team of technicians and engineers on a shift basis.
Specifically, you will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Support contract mobilisation and ongoing delivery of the operational maintenance requirements.
- Support West Coast Main Line train delivery, testing and commissioning teams in the UK and in Japan.
- Responsible for supporting the development of the maintenance documents that will be required during the testing phase to include testing “safety of the line” inspections.
- Ensuring that all testing and commissioning trains receive the necessary safety of the line inspections prior to commencement of nightly / daily testing and that this is recorded into the Maintenance Management System.
- Responsible for performing the testing maintenance regime as required in such a way as to not impact operational test running.
- Responsible for taking physical delivery of the train and ensuring the maintenance acceptance processes and procedures are followed.
- Deployment of the initial and ongoing depot operational processes and procedures relating to the maintenance and repair of Hitachi rolling stock assets.
- Undertake depot special tools commissioning as instructed. These are to include depot protection systems, depot cranes, drop facilities, Jacks, and servicing roads.
- Responsible for deployment of the necessary operational processes and procedures for the control of depot special tools.
- Support the continued development of the SAP maintenance management system (MMS). Ensure all shop floor requirements are captured and delivered.
- Support the material management team with setting up of the material stores both as required during testing and commissioning. Ensure all material usage is controlled and recorded in the Maintenance Management System.
- Direct management of the maintenance team to ensure all materials are correctly booked out of the stores and any materials being returned to the stores for repair are correctly labelled and process is followed.
- Deployment of Lean principles and best practice and other out stabled locations as necessary.
- Development of the Maintenance Manual – Support the Technical Author with the ongoing development of the maintenance manual and technical documentation.
- With support from the maintenance team undertake an on train practical review of all maintenance tasks, feedback any potential improvements to the technical author as part of the continuous improvement loop.
- Fleet Delivery – Ensuring the contractual agreed number of trains are made available for service. Fitness to run examinations are carried out on all trains entering service. Responsible for making on the spot decisions to alter or cancel morning service. Update fleet disposition statement and authorise for release via maintenance control.
- Constant Improvement – Create an atmosphere through his/her team that seeks to constantly improve the process associated with the maintenance.
- Assistance in planning exam work – Identify maintenance exams due, time required and Identify staff numbers and strengths to enable completion of the exam.
- Overseeing and assisting the corrective and preventative maintenance. Ensure exam tasks are being completed in a timely manner, assist exam work or fault rectification when required.
- Maintenance Management System (SAP) Monitor the SAP system to ensure all work is being recorded correctly.
- Materials – Interrogate the SAP system to determine if spares are available to complete the necessary work orders. Ensuring team members follow the correct procedures to ensure that materials are recorded and / or returned to the stores for repair.
- Staff Appraisals – Yearly performance and develop plans for the shift members. Three monthly and six monthly probationary period reviews for new employees on shift.
- Competency for specialist equipment – To include depot protection systems, bogie drop equipment, fire alarm, lifting equipment (including crane systems and mobile hydraulic lifting equipment), depot maintenance shed 25kv overhead traction supply, train windscreen lifting device, mobile lifting/scaffolding platforms and train wash.
- Health & safety – Ensure team members follow the correct working practices at all times. All relative PPE equipment is being used. Ensure road ways/pits are kept clean after work. Carry out incident investigations, manage the PICOT process.
- Annual leave / sickness – Authorise/Decline annual leave request for the team. Take into account, work load / leave already booked and planned training.
- Record and monitor sickness a crossed the team, undertaken return to work interviews as required.
- Liaise with Hitachi and external personnel as required to complete the duties of the post.
- Must undertake training for depot train driving / assessment and pass as competent.
- Assist as required
- To act as main focal point for all depot servicing activities during shifts.
- Carry out team briefings/tool box talks.
- Attend management meetings when required.
- Take responsibility for staff, contractor and visitor safety ensuing process and procedure is followed.
- Support the Train Movements team leader with planning the required depot movements to ensure train maintenance, repair and servicing can be undertaken to ensure availability is maintained.
- Develop the team professionally and support good working relationships
- Learn New skills in accordance with Hitachi’s new business demands as required
- Must be prepared to travel and overnight away from base location for short periods of time to support Great Western and East Cost Main Line train commissioning, testing and specialist training.
- Deputise for the Service Delivery Manager when required.
- Network Rail Sentinel PTS
- Manual Handling, COSHH
- Experience of direct and indirect assessment of staff on the shop floor.
- Experience of leading a maintenance team on a shift bases in a modern rolling stock maintenance depot environment.
- Outstanding Safety Awareness gained in an operational railway engineering environments.
- Experience of working at stabling out stations or main line station technical support.
- Rolling stock test, approvals and commissioning experience preferably gain from a previous modern rolling stock fleet introduction.
- Highly experienced in undertaking preventative and corrective rolling stock maintenance on modern rolling stock. To include modern fault finding and repair techniques using pc based laptops and remote train diagnostics.
- Competent with stores, spare parts logistics and material management on a railway maintenance depot.
- Extensive experience of modern maintenance management systems (MMS) and associated reliability and available trend analysis.
- Experience of undertaken reliability improvements plans and modification without impacting on the maintenance plan or availability.
- Strong man management skills and experience of managing a large team of engineers on shift work.
- M & E HNC or served engineering apprenticeship or equivalent proven railway experience.
- Engineering based NVQ level 3
- Sound knowledge of, and compliance to, rules and regulations (internal and external)
- Able to represent Hitachi in a professional manner at all times
- Proven experienced team leader with very strong leadership skills
- Calm and diplomatic under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to interface effectively with all levels of personnel both within and outside the company.
- Loyal, committed, confident and determined.
- Intermediate IT skills – typically Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook
- Reading electrical, pneumatic, mechanical schematics and drawings
- Train driving, Fire warden, First Aider
- Powered plant and tools – bogie drop, cranes, air systems / 110v tools.
- Depot Protection
- Working at Height, COSHH, Manual handling, AC/DC Depot isolation
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!