Hitachi Vantara, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., guides our customers from what's now to what's next by solving their digital challenges. Working alongside each customer, we apply our unmatched industrial and digital capabilities to their data and applications to benefit both business and society. More than 80% of the Fortune 100 trust Hitachi Vantara to help them develop new revenue streams, unlock competitive advantages, lower costs, enhance customer experiences, and deliver social and environmental value.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with excellent design, development, and debugging experience within a Ceph scale-out environment, to work as part of the development team in Hitachi Vantara Engineering, File product portfolio.
This role requires the ability to work in various areas of the Linux operating system; architecture, deployment, configuration, security at an expert level. The position is broad and encourages an expansion of personal expertise into the latest software defined storage technologies. An ideal candidate will understand the entire process of creating valuable software, and be involved with the complete development-test cycle. This involves being an integral part of a team that produces high quality functional software and unit testing, working in a multi-disciplinary team.
The role will involve being part of an agile scrum team of skilled/mixed-discipline engineers, understanding the required deliverables and pro-actively taking part in the team's self-organization to ensure sprint goals are met. The engineer will play a key role in shaping the design, development, testing and integration of prioritized work. This will involve tackling problems of diverse scope, designing and implementing complex software while ensuring quality of the product remains high.
A successful candidate must have a proven track record of delivering complex software solutions utilizing Ceph. They will also have an inquisitive mind, an openness to new ideas, an excellent attention to detail and an adaptability to change. Strong verbal and written communication skills are important, as is being a self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic.
This role will include some or all of the following:
- Applying your knowledge of Ceph or other scale-out File Systems and Linux technologies
- Architecture design, deployment, configuration, automation and management of scale-out filesystems
- Pool/OSD management, drive failure handling, filesystem create/delete, thin provisioning, snapshots etc.
- Effectively utilize a wide range of tools in development, including linux admin and config, shell scripting (bash) as well as python. Possibly some c++.
- Develop, build, modify, and extend Linux tools and apps
- Work within an agile scrum team and interface with external stakeholders during design stage
- Design and implement or direct testing efforts
- Ensure good automated regression test coverage
- Active participation in a modern/distributed team environment
- Deep understanding of the CEPH architecture and its components.
- Familiar with low level CEPH configuration flags and settings.
- Excellent debugging and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with fine tuning performance on CEPH based storage clusters.
Qualifications & Skills
- Direct experience architecting and developing Ceph scale-out storage environments
- Demonstrated experience in developing Linux apps, Linux distribution-related work is a must
- Excellent analytical and debugging skills
- 4+ years' experience working with Ceph and scale-out storage technologies, networking, scripting languages, development tools
Degree in Computer Science (or other scientific discipline), or equivalent applicable experience.
- At least 5 years of Linux development experience
Candidates must possess high adaptability, flexibility, desire and drive to branch out from comfort zone
- C, shell, Python is a must
- C++ is desirable
- Scrum master or product owner experience or certification is a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Keywords: CEPH, linux, C++, python, file system, filesystem, metadata, replication, distributed file system, block storage, NAS, SMB, Samba, NFS, POSIX, SDS, Object Storage, op-locks, ACLs, locking, versioning, snapshots, replication, caching, clustering, multi-threading
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.