Researcher, Robotics/Advanced Automation
Company: Hitachi America, Ltd. (HAL)
Division: R&D / Industrial Innovation Laboratory
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Status: Regular, Full-Time
Hitachi America, Ltd. (www.hitachi-america.us) is looking for a Ph.D./Master’s degree holder in Industrial, Mechanical, Mechatronics, Mathematical information or related Engineering field to join our R&D team as a researcher to contribute in the area of Advanced Automation. The Researcher will collaborate with HAL Researchers, Hitachi R&D in Japan and industry partners as well as customers on advanced automation technologies and solutions for Industrial Operations focusing on warehouse/manufacturing. This position will require sound knowledge in robot vision, signal & image processing, Machine Learning and controls. The position requires the researcher to work as a team member with good communication and written skills.
- The candidate will work in close collaboration with HAL Researchers and Hitachi R&D in Japan
- The candidate should be capable of working with industry partners and customers, identifying customers’ needs & challenges and proposing & conducting solution design / implementation / verification.
- Ability to design, develop and apply advanced robot vision recognition and control technologies to address warehouse /manufacturing challenges, such as palletizing or depalletizing, etc.
- The candidate should leverage Industry 4.0 elements to improve operation efficiency
- Ability to conceive proof of concept ideas and then scale them up to production not just on a single line but across different lines and factories
- The candidate must have the ability to make plans and execute them. He/she will perform complex process and system design & analysis with high level of analytical ability
- Periodic generation of invention disclosures based on research outcome
- Publish technical papers and attend/present at conferences and seminars
- Master or higher degree in robotics engineering, control engineering, mechanical engineering, mechatronics, mathematical information engineering related field is required.
- A deep understanding, experience formulating and implementation of robot vision, signal & image processing, point cloud processing, and machine learning is required.
- Knowledge of kinematics, signal processing and communication engineering is required.
- Experience with robotics platform (ROS, Robotics API, ORiN, FIELD System, etc.) or robotics simulator (gazebo, Isaac, Bullet, V-REP, etc.) and developing algorithms or control software in Python, Java or C++. (experience with at least 1 is required)
- Working knowledge in statistics, data mining techniques, machine learning methods and common tools is preferred.
- Knowledge of industrial automation equipment, such as industrial robots, PLC, DAQ, IoT gateway, etc. Hands-on experience preferred is preferred.
- Knowledge in fieldbus network, Machine-to-Machine (M2M) protocols is preferred.
- Working experience in controlling actual hardware (robot, actuator, etc.) based on sensed information is preferred.
- Knowledge of manufacturing or warehouse system, and production line design, production line optimization is preferred.
- Experience of presenting / publishing in international conferences or journals is preferred.
- Capability of writing new proposals to sustain research funding is preferred.
- Skills in time and project management is required.
- Must be able to travel locally and internationally up to 25% of the time.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
If you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job at Hitachi, please send the nature of request and contact information to [email protected] Queries other than accommodation requests will not be responded to.