POSITION TITLE: Product Support Engineer
DEPARTMENT NAME: Product Support
REPORTING TO TITLE: Product Support Manager
WORK DESIGNATION: Onsite
HTA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All new hires will be required to provide proof of their vaccination status prior to their start date and will need to receive the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or the single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on or before January 4, 2022, or no later than two weeks prior to their start date with HTA, unless they request and receive a medical or religious accommodation.
The Product Support Engineer provides second-level technical support to field service as well as customers. Technical assistance is also provided for parts operations, domestic source parts drawings, new parts evaluation, documentation, sales support, quality inspection, failure analysis, and more.
A Product Support Engineer must have a solid working knowledge of vacuum technology, RF, electronics, mechanical/robotics, and associated control systems. Mastery of general test equipment and data acquisition systems is expected.
- Act as liaison between the factory in Japan and HTA/subsidiary support operations.
- Provide 7 x 24 technical support to customers and HTA/subsidiary service groups.
- Provide second-level support in the event of equipment escalation. Devise troubleshooting action plans for internal/external customers. Periodic short-notice extended travel is expected.
- Generation and maintenance of support documentation including maintenance procedures, engineering change notices, technical bulletins, product safety notices, etc.
- Provide engineering support for global-source parts, including CAD drawing review, engineering changes for enhanced performance or cost reduction, purchase specifications, etc.
- Provide technical assistance to the Operations and QA groups for parts lookup, stocking levels, vendor qualification, parts inspection, parts repair, failure analysis, P1 judgments, import/export classifications, warranty and repair judgments, purchasing, etc.
- Provide technical assistance in support of new equipment sales
- Provide backup support to the field in the event of manpower shortage
- Other duties as required
- Engineering degree or technical diploma in related study. Strong preference to electronics.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must as frequent customer communication and formal technical reporting are required. Clear, concise, professional, and comprehensive written communication skills are needed for maintenance procedures, engineering bulletins, change notices, purchase specifications, and other technical documentation. Computer literacy is also important, with proficiency needed in, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
- The ability to drive projects and tasks to a timely completion is essential. A Product Support Engineer must be able to work with reduced supervision, prioritize daily tasks and projects, take the lead in resolution of equipment issues, and have the confidence to “raise the flag” when it appears goals or customer expectations may not be met.
- RESOURCEFULNESS – Creative solutions must often be employed to achieve the end result. When a roadblock is encountered, a Product Support Engineer is expected to quickly seek knowledge from all available resources. This includes peers, factory, manufacturer, books, Internet, etc. Effective discovery and utilization of knowledge resources is pivotal efficient problem solving.
- TRAINING – Equipment familiarity and continual education are required to respond effectively and to keep pace with changing technology. Product Support Engineers are expected to spend at least 10% of their time working with the equipment in engineering, sustaining, or training roles. Outside courses or seminars in semiconductor technologies, business or technical writing, computer skills, or similar are highly encouraged.
- DIRECTION – After becoming familiar with normal department operations, the Product Support Engineer is expected to be able to properly prioritize daily activities and new tasks. The individual must seek guidance for new projects or when unsure of priorities. In the event that goals or deadlines may not be met, the Product Support Engineer is expected to immediately discuss the situation to prevent surprises and to ensure proper prioritization and resources are applied.
- CUSTOMER FOCUS – It is important that significant emphasis is placed on continually improving the responsiveness of the department. The Product Support Group is expected to aim a delivering maximum value to its customers by assessing courses of action based on probable customer benefits. The output of the department must be regarded as a commitment on which others depend.
- Ability to identify and distinguish color-codes with or without accommodations.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. with or without accommodations.
- Hand-eye coordination as needed to support activities with fine detail mechanical work, without accommodations.
- Visual acuity necessary to perform fine mechanical alignment, with or without accommodations.
- Ability to hear audible indicators.
- Capable of passing fit test and annual recertification for breathing air mask/respirator.
POSITION - SAFETY RISKS AND HAZARDS
Warning: Due to the nature of the work environment, this job may require working on equipment or in work areas where electromagnetic frequencies may be present from some of the equipment (intensity may vary) which could possibly interfere with certain medical implants or devices. If you have questions, contact Human Resources.
Maximum one person weight lift of no more than 50 pounds under ideal conditions. Requires at least a two-man lift or more if lifting conditions are not ideal or more than 50 pounds, unless lifting device is used that can reduce the load to a safe level.
The above job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees with this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to [email protected]