Hitachi Vantara is part of the Global Hitachi family. We balance innovation with an open, friendly culture and the backing of a long-established parent company, known for its ethical reputation. We guide customers from what's now to what's next by unlocking the value of their data and applications to solve their digital challenges, achieving outcomes that benefit both business and society.
Our people are our biggest asset, they drive our innovation advantage and we strive to offer a flexible and collaborative workplace where they can thrive. Diversity of thought is welcomed and our employee base is represented by several active Employee Resource Group communities. We offer industry leading benefits packages (flexible working, generous pension and private healthcare) and promote a creative and inclusive culture. If driving real change gives you a sense of pride and you are passionate about powering social good, we'd love to hear from you. The Role
We are recruiting a Software Engineer to work as part of the development team in Hitachi Vantara Engineering, who are responsible for designing, developing and testing the Hitachi NAS Platform product (https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/products/storage/network-attached-storage-platform.html
An ideal candidate will understand the entire process of creating valuable software and be involved with the complete development-test cycle. This involves being an integral part of a team that produces high quality functional software and unit testing, working in a multi-disciplinary team including software, testing, FPGA and hardware skills.
The role will involve being part of an agile scrum team of skilled/mixed-discipline engineers, understanding the required deliverables and pro-actively taking part in the team's self-organization to ensure sprint goals are met. The engineer will play a key role in shaping the design, development, testing and integration of prioritised work. This will involve tackling problems of diverse scope, designing and implementing complex software while ensuring quality of the product remains high.
A successful candidate must have a proven track record of delivering complex software solutions, and a demonstrable understanding of the software lifecycle. They will also have an inquisitive mind, an openness to new ideas, an excellent attention to detail and an adaptability to change. Strong verbal and written communication skills are important, as is being a self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic.Responsibilities
This role will include some or all of the following:
• Design, develop and support software in C/C++ for embedded systems.
• Develop speed critical code interfacing with custom hardware, including a hardware-based file system.
• Develop code to provide and enhance file sharing protocols such as NFS and SMB
• Develop test and diagnostic systems for the hardware platform
• Design and implement software delivering new (and enhancing existing) functionality within the Hitachi NAS products
• Work within an agile scrum team
• Design and implement software unit tests
• Work with support engineers to diagnose and resolve escalated customer issues
• Work alongside test engineers to ensure good automated regression test coverage of product functionality Qualifications & Skills
• Degree in Computer Science (or other scientific discipline), or equivalent applicable experience
• Strong C/C++ skills with embedded/kernel programming being an advantage
• Experience of working in the Python language
• Experience of programming in a multi-threaded environment
• Experience with one or more of the following: File systems, TCP/IP, NFS, CIFS/SMB, FTP, HTTP, iSCSI, Kerberos, LDAP
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. Our Values
We strive to create an inclusive environment for all and are open to considering home working, compressed/flexible hours and flexible arrangements. Get in touch with us to explore how we might be able to accommodate your specific needs.
We are proud to say we are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. With Japanese roots going back over 100 years, our culture is founded on the values of our parent company expressed as the Hitachi Spirit:
Wa - Harmony, Trust, Respect
Makoto - Sincerity, Fairness, Honesty, Integrity
Kaitakusha-Seishin - Pioneering Spirit, Challenge